Longparish Village Handbook (1999 edition)
<< Previous Page
Next Page >>

Once many of the village houses were owned by the estates, and occupied by their employees. As late as the 1940s most of the people living in the village were employed in the village, either on the farms or in the larger houses. The mechanisation of farming since the 1930s has meant that fewer have been employed in agriculture. In the late 19th century there were about 12 farms, but gradually they have been amalgamated. There are now three main farms, Middleton, Firgo and Vale, and the other farmhouses have been sold. The same is true of the cottages, many of which have been sold or let to people who can use the increased flexibility provided by the car and a public bus service to work elsewhere. The advent of electricity in the 1930s, a public water system in the 1950s, and main drainage, which came to most of the village, but not East Aston, in 1965 has made village life more attractive.

North Acre, the only recent large building development, was a Council housing estate. The first 8 houses were built in 1936, and during the Second World war it was enlarged by some prefabs. In 1946 more houses were added to complete the original road. In 1956, the houses were built along the top of the estate, including the flats. In 1968 bungalows for the elderly with a warden replaced the prefabs. The estate was further enlarged in 1974 with more bungalows and houses and street lighting. Since the right to buy Council houses was introduced, about 40% of the houses have been sold by Test Valley and are now privately owned. Acre Stores was built by Mr and Mrs Pat Burke in 1964-5, and when Mrs Priscilla Kingston retired from the old Post Office in 1989, the Post Office moved there too.

Strict planning controls have limited new building in the village to “infilling” the existing settlements. Despite this there is a steady movement of families in and out of the village. Some families have lived in the village for several generations. Those who had grandparents born in the village include the Balls, Bowmans, Bournes, Brunsdons, Kingstons, Mills, Smarts, Smiths, Snows, Taylors, Tonges, Turtons, Warwicks, Wheables, Whites and Woottens. Lack of low cost housing is making it increasingly difficult for those who have grown up in the village to stay when they marry.

Opportunities for employment in the village are now very restricted, and most residents commute to work in surrounding towns, and several to London. An increasing proportion work from home. At the 1981 census 15.6% of residents were retired; in 1991 21.9 %. The social composition of the village is now weighted to the more affluent. At least half the primary school pupils live outside the village. They are attracted by the excellent reputation of the school, but the places are available because the high cost of housing means that many of the children now living in the village belong to families who send their children to private schools.

Access to the village from the south had become dangerous by the 1990s because of the amount and speed of traffic on the A303, and there was great relief when two bridges were built, one linking with Barton Stacey in 1994, the other with Wherwell in 1995. A long-requested speed limit of 30mph through most of the village was introduced in 1996.

Contact and Search

Legal

Menu design based on one copyright © Stu Nicholls

This site uses CSS. To see it at its best, you should use a browser that understands them. See, for example, www.mozilla.com